Whatever you call it – is it not pleasant stuff!
Feral Pigeon (Columba livia) droppings have the potential to harbour numerous pathogens that can affect public health.
- Campylobacter spp
- Chlamydia psittaci
- Cryptococcus spp
- Escherichia coli 0157
- Histoplasma spp
- Listeria spp
- Salmonella spp
- Vibro cholerae
The risks are:
- Pest birds act as a host for organisms to develop and can then be passed on to humans.
- Parts of the birds can cause allergic reactions.
- Organisms can use bird droppings as an excellent medium to grow in.
- Birds can pick up organisms and scatter them about.
- Bird droppings can damage the fabric of buildings through direct chemical action.
- Block drains and gutters, leading to water damage.
- Bird Phobias affect 1 in 10 people, this could include your staff or clients.
- Birds & nest can harbour fleas, mites, bugs, ticks, lice and blowflies.
- Droppings are a slip hazard, compounded when wet.
- Birds & dropping around site is not good for your business image.
This week we have been cleaning steelwork so people working below do not get a pat on the head!
All this work is being carried out from a scissor lift as we are IPAF trained.
For bird fouling cleaning call us on: 01296 630 934
All images and text are © BTP Es Ltd 2014