01525 863 951
The Grey Squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) has been resident in the UK since being released in the 1870’s. It was seen as a fashionable addition to country estates. As the Grey Squirrel is larger than the UK’s indigenous smaller Red Squirrel (Sciurus vulgaris), it has pushed it in to a few small pockets around the country. Populations of the grey is estimated at 2,500,000 across the UK, it is thought that Red Squirrels number only around 10,000 -15,000. Squirrel problems are damage to flora and fauna and property. Squirrel Facts:
- The Red Squirrel is protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.
- The Grey Squirrel is regarded as an invasive non-native species, so can be killed by shooting or trapping.
- It is an offence, to release a cage trapped squirrel back in to the wild.
Having Grey squirrels around you home or work can be unpleasant, as they have the potential to damage property, health and hygiene.
- Excellent at gnawing wood, so can access a roof space
- Chew loft insulation
- Drown in water tanks
- Chew cables & pipes
Squirrel Problems – Electrical Safety
- Squirrels love to chew, this include live cables!
- House fires have been blamed on squirrels chewing through cables Read it HERE.
- See images (right) of squirrel damage and burns
- Do not leave a Squirrel in your roof.
How Can we help?
- A qualified BTP technician will attend you home or site and survey the problem
- Once the issues have been looked at, we can offer advice on a solution
- It may be a simple DIY fix you can carry out
- It may require specialist work from us, such as trapping & removal
- Exclusion works such as blocking up holes or cleaning may be required
- A costs are agreed before work commences, so you know what to expect
Depending on size of property and number of squirrels:
Treatments start at: £60.00 (Inc VAT)